- Brownies enough to fill bottom of pan
- Marble cake (or similar), cut in thin layers
- Dairy free custard (recipe below)
- Coffee syrup (recipe below)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup or 225 g non-dairy cream cheese
- 1 cup non-dairy whipped cream
Beat egg yolks & sugar until very light in colour – almost white & fluffy. Beat in cream cheese to the mixture. In separate bowl, beat whipped cream until it is fluffy and light. Fold into egg/tofutti mixture. Cream should be light and fluffy. (Freezes well…..)
COFFEE SYRUP RECIPE:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (or more for stronger taste)
- 1 cup sugar
Dissolve coffee in water in a small saucepan over heat. Add sugar until mixture is heated through and sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and cool. This mixture can be bottled in fridge.
This is a dairy free, delicious concoction of brownie, cake, coffee and cream. It is versatile and can be made to any size…..Follow these steps and make your own creation!
- Take any size pan with a high edge. I like to use a loaf pan. Line it with parchment paper. Fill the bottom with brownie squares so that there are no spaces. Don’t worry if you see lines.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the brownie top with coffee syrup. Spread a layer of cream on top.
- Cut vanilla or marble cake and arrange pieces in one layer.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the cake with a generous amount of coffee syrup. Spread a layer of cream on top.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 one or two more times until close to the height of your pan.
- Spread last layer of cream on top. Using a straight or rippled edge, run knife flush over top of pan to get a clean finish.
- Freeze the cake. After an hour, you can run hot water on a knife and run through sides of pan between cake and parchment. Place back in freezer for a few hours. Freezing the cake makes it easier to take the cake out of pan.
- Pull out the parchment paper and remove cake from pan. You can cover sides with cream for decoration if you like. You can also dust top with cocoa powder using a sifter. This dessert freezes well. Take out an hour before you want to eat it.
- Let sit in refrigerator until ready to eat.